A Double Edge Safety Razor is a shaving-tool that uses a single blade with two cutting edges that are guided against the skin with the razor’s head. In fact, a double edge razor uses sandwiching (bending) of the blade in the head to create an angle that allows the blade to cut your facial hair easily. Lastly, this shaving tool consists of a handle and head-comb.
Double Edge safety razors are also designed to provide you with an extra-close shave that is very comfortable and quick compared to electric-shavers. So, the Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor(MK 23C) & Parker 99R Safety-Razor are the Best Double-Edge Safety-Razors on the market today.
Detailed Reviews Of The Best Double Edge Safety Razors For Men:
#1st CHOICE: Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor (MK 23C):
The Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor features a chrome-finish that facilitates for maximum-durability while its double edge design ensures a very close and comfortable shave. It also features a very comfortable extra-long handle with great texturing on top so as to ensure a non-slip grip and works well with all hands especially larger-hands.
- An extra close shave sine its equipped double-edge shaving head that is well-balanced.
- A solid-frame with a chrome finish that makes this safety-razor very durable and sturdy even with daily usage.
- A Long handle that is great for people with large-hands.
- A nice-looking texture on the handle that ensures a firm-grip especially when shaving under wet-conditions.
- It’s made in Germany using the highest-quality materials.
#2nd CHOICE: Parker 99R – Long Handle Heavyweight Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor:
The Parker 99R is a classic safety-razor with a solid brass-frame that ensures maximum-durability while its butterfly-open mechanism facilitates for quick and easy replacement. Its double-edge design facilitates for a smooth and comfortable shave making it a perfect choice for people sensitive-skins. Additionally, the Parker-99R is a heavy-duty safety-razor and this makes it capable of cutting through the toughest of beards easily resulting into a smooth and comfortable shave. Lastly, changing blades is very simple and effortless whereby you simply twist the knob at the bottom of the razor to open the butterfly doors and then drop in a new blade.
- A Chrome Solid-brass frame designed to provide years of durability and trouble-free shaving.
- A Twist-to-Open (“Butterfly Open“) design for easy blade replacement.
- A 4-inch long textured handle for a sure grip even with wet or slippery hands.
- Heavyweight design that facilitates to great balance when shaving.
- A textured handle that facilitates for firm and sure grip when shaving under wet-conditions.
- A beautiful and durable finish achieved through an advanced plating process.
- Assembled by hand resulting using highest quality materials so as to ensure maximum-durability.
#3rd CHOICE: VIKINGS BLADE The Chieftain Double-Edge Safety Razor:
Unlike cheaper razor-clones that are made from pot-metals, the Vikings Chieftain safety-razor is custom built from premium Swedish metal-alloys that ensure optimum-durability in all conditions. The Vikings safety-razors are designed to last you a lifetime and passed down to the next generation. On the other hand, the safety-razor features an advanced shaving-head that ensures easy blade-replacement while the integrated micro-comb system ensures Zero-resistance so that you can always achieve a close and comfortable shave.
- An advanced head that facilitates for quick blade replacement.
- Hand-crafted from high-end Swedish stainless steel with a premium-mix of brass and bronze alloy for maximum-durability.
- Heavily coated with shiny chrome that prevents rust even when shaving under wet-conditions daily.
- ZERO resistance shaving because of the integrated patented micro-comb system
- A heavy-weight design that facilitates for great balance when shaving.
- A BONUS leatherette, suede case and a mirror for the nomadic Vikings
- It’s provided with raw, unbranded, unpolished super-sharp platinum-coated blades made from Swedish steel.
#4th CHOICE: WEISHI Long Handle Double-Edge Safety Razor:
WEISHI is an advanced, long-handle safety-razor that was designed to provide modern men with a classic, closer and more comfortable shave. It may take you a few shaves to get used to this safety-razor but it actually offers a great shaving-experience. So, it’s recommended to Use as little pressure as possible but let the weight of the razor do the work for you in order to achieve a closer and comfortable shave with less skin-irritation. Additionally, you need to angle the blade at a 45-degree angle and Shave with the grain of your beard for best results when using this safety-razor.
- A long handle for easy control and holding while shaving.
- Butterfly-open head which facilitates for quick & easy blade-replacement.
- This is a beautiful safety razor for either your own use or given-out as a gift.
- It’s a Double-Edge safety Razor made by skilled craftsmen for a closer and comfortable shave.
- Texturing on the handle for an excellent grip feeling while ensuring great fitting in hands of all the persons
- Perfect weight that ensures great balance so that you can get an effortless and comfortable shave.
#5th CHOICE: Parker 96R Long-Handle & Butterfly-Open Double Edge Safety Razor:
The Parker 96R safety-razor features a solid brass frame, a butterfly-open mechanism and a famous smooth shaving-head design. The Parker-96R is also a heavyweight razor and this allows it to cut through the toughest of beards easily resulting into a smooth and comfortable shave.
On top of that, changing blades is very simple and effortless whereby you simply twist the knob at the bottom of the razor to open the butterfly-doors and drop in a new-blade. All in all, the Parker 96R has been designed with great features to ensure a quality shaving experience at all times.
- A double-Edge head design that facilitates for a smooth and comfortable shave.
- A textured handle for a sure grip even with wet and slippery hands.
- A Solid brass frame designed to provide years of trouble-free shaving
- A beautiful and durable finish achieved through an advanced plating process.
- assembled by hand resulting into the highest quality product for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s):
Are double edge safety razors safe?
Yes, this is because a good double edged safety razor with a high-quality blade can help reduce the skin-irritation that you might experience with some of the multi-bladed disposable cartridge razors.
Are double edge safety razors better than electric-shavers?
Yes, because double edge safety razors will help you achieve a better quality of shave and are much cheaper in the long run than electric-razors. Additionally, double edge safety razors are very easy to use and will help you get better access to those hard-to-reach areas.
Are safety razors good at trimming pubic hair?
Yes, from shaving your legs to your bikini area, a safety razor outperforms a cartridge razor in every way. In fact, safety-razors will even help to reduce on razor-bumps and ingrown-hairs. Additionally, unlike multi-blade razors, safety razors use a single double-edge blade that doesn’t tug and pull.
Is it possible to shave with both sides of a safety razor?
Yes, you can rinse between shaves and then switch sides of the blade but avoid re-shaving any single patch of the skin to avoid irritation.
How do you get a closer shave using a safety razor?
- Wet the Double-Edge razor & position it at about a 30° angle to your skin. This angle ensures a close shave but doesn’t produce a lot of nicks and cuts.
- Shave with the grain on the first pass while using short strokes. This will allow the razor to glide smoothly across your skin. Its also very forgiving and less likely to irritate your skin.
- Dip the safety-razor frequently into warm water and swirl it around. This dislodges hair and other gunk that gets caught in between the head, blade, and comb.
- Shave using small, light strokes: Use small strokes while pressing softly with your razor onto the skin. In fact, keep your touch light and don’t press down too hard. Its the weight of your razor that should be doing most of the work.
- Hold the skin taut to promote easier shaving. Holding your skin taut makes it easier for the razor blade to glide over the skin’s surface. This will give you a closer shave without as many nicks.
- Pay extra attention to problem areas. These include areas above and below the lips, beneath the jawline, and any other place on the face that is contoured instead of flat. These areas often produce nicks, cuts, irritation, and redness. So, when shaving these areas, take your time and shave against the grain.
- Wet your face and apply another thin coat of cream, then take a second pass. The aim of the first pass is to remove most of your stubble but some noticeable patches will stay. So, the aim of the second pass is to shave away any remaining stubble without causing cuts or irritation. On the second pass, shave using sideways strokes or against the grain but very carefully. Sideways strokes will trim the forest of your beard down to a clean sand-dune without producing much irritation. Additionally, remember to unclog your razor, keep your skin taut, and always lather over areas you intend to shave for extra lubrication.
Advantages of double edge safety razors:
+ Sustainable & low waste.
+ Its the cheapest way to shave.`
+ Help to cut down on razor-burn and skin-irritation.
+ They provide a much smoother shave than electric razors.
+ They reduce on skin irritation, shave bumps & ingrown hairs.
+ Allow for a more precise shave thus making it easier to carve well-defined lines with more consistency.
+ The weight and balance of a safety razor are designed perfectly to fit comfortably in your hand and allow the razor to do all of the work for you.
Disadvantages of double edge safety razors:
– Old blades can cause more nicks and cuts.
– Shaving gunk may build up if not cleaned regularly.
– The 2-piece safety razors are quite difficult to clean between shaves.
– It requires some time & a couple of shaves to get used to safety razors.
– Shaving might take a little bit longer than usual in-order to avoid cuts & nicks.